River of Pride held the 13th annual Pride week celebration in Moncton last weekend. Despite the fact that most of the board of directors resigned shortly before the weeks events took place, it was a HUGE success.
NSRAP has been working since 1995 across Nova Scotia as a voice for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Community (Rainbow Community). Part of our role is advocating for Nova Scotians’ access to equitable and ethical health care; which includes the promotion of non-discriminatory and evidence-based blood collection and delivery services.
The Scotiabank AIDS Walk for Life will be held on September 22 & 23 this year.
August 10, 2012
On August 8th, the Andre Denny case was back in court, only to be adjourned until September 20th. Denny is accused of the brutal beating death of Raymond Taavel of Halifax last April. Denny is being assessed by an Ontario doctor to determined if he is mentally fit to stand trial. The doctor has not yet finished his report causing the delay.
More details available soon online in a report by Ralph Higgins, and a full timeline is available here.
It's that time of year again when we gather together as a huge community of friends, and we celebrate everything that makes us the wonderful proud people we are. To celebrate our spirit, our individuality, our hopes and our dreams, our many accomplishments, and of course our contributions to the world and to our community.
The 24th Annual Courage Round Up, with the theme, "Serenity by the Sea", will be held in Halifax this weekend. It is sponsored by gay men and lesbians in Alcoholics Anonymous and open to all alcoholics and those affected by the alcoholism of others.
By: Denise Cole
Safe Alliance hosts its 3rd year of PRIDE celebrations in Happy Valley-Goose Bay!
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador is a place of pride, diversity, and determination!
The Safe Alliance, a volunteer led LGBTQQ support/awareness group in Labrador, was very excited about the success of this year’s PRIDE activities.
In this issue, news:
- InterQ: a Chamber of Commerce with Pizzazz by Bethana Sullivan
- Halifax Pride AGM - How the Past Informs The Future by Bethana Sullivan
- Moncton Pride To Go Ahead by Nathan Adams
- NSRAP AGM by Kirk Furlotte
- NSRAP & Canadian Blood Services by Lucas Thorne-Humphrey
- Queering the HRM Budget by Hugo Dann
- Yarmouth United Church now does marriages
- Hep C In Northern New Brunswick by Janet McPhee
- A LGBT Community Centre in Moncton? by Nathan Adams
- Thank You from the Youth Project! by Patrick Daigle
- Voting in HRM Is More Important This Year Than Ever by Bryn Jones-Vaillancourt
In this issue, regular columns:
- Randall Perry's The 416er: Why I Did It Naked
- Crawford Hastie's Kibitz & Bitch
- Gerard Veldhoven: The World Celebrates Pride
- Bethana Sullivan's Sanctuary Garden: Radical Change
Click on the cover, at right to get the issue on line, or click the "Get A Copy Of Wayves" button, above, to find a paper copy!
A Nova Scotian activist group wants the province to do more to protect transgendered people from discrimination.
Posted 29 July 2012
By Kaley Kennedy
What's at Stake in the Fight For a World Without Prisons
The following is the written text of a speech I delivered at this year's Dyke and Trans March.