Updates are at the top of this article.
October 24 will be the last update to this, the Halifax Pride 2023 article. All further Pride news will be posted to the 2024 article.
October 24: Halifax Pride writes on Instagram:
During the 2023 AGM, reference was made to a possible upcoming date for a rescheduled Pride Parade, following the cancellation of the parade last July due to flooding. After discussion, the Board has decided not to pursue hosting a parade until next summer’s festival. With the new Board elected on October 5th, such a tight time frame did not allow for the adequate safety planning, care, or community engagement needed to run a parade at the scale typically hosted by Halifax Pride.
Anyone who has reached out via email or DMs regarding refunds can expect a response in the coming weeks. We are working diligently to sift through all inboxes and respond to those with requests and concerns.
We look forward to celebrating with all of you again soon!
- A Facebook member with a business on the Parade route says they've been notified that a Parade Permit has been issued for October 28th.
- A General Meeting - that is, for all interested members of the community. Here are the notes from it including a note that arrangements have been started to have a Parade on October 28th.
- "In the interest of safety and to assist in recovery efforts, the Halifax Pride Board along with Halifax Emergency Management have made the difficult decision to reschedule the Halifax Pride Parade that was to be held Sunday, July 23rd. A rescheduled date will be announced. The last 24 hours have been extremely difficult, and we want to ensure the safety of participants and attendees as your local Emergency Services assist in the recovery efforts. Thank you to our first responders who are there for us all in the most challenging of times. This has proven to be a very tough year both for our province as well as Halifax Pride. We are very saddened to not be celebrating our 2SLGBTQ+ community with you all and look forward to when we’ll be together again."
- Halifax Pride has removed "2022 Events" from their calendar page, and added a quite nice message and a link to the Halifax Rainbow Encyclopedia calendar.
- Another few dozen events have been added to the Halifax Rainbow Encyclopedia Calendar including another alternative march on the 27th, Elders Storytelling Salon on the 30th, sex workshops at Venus Envy, a film festival at Park Lane, more films at Carbon Arc, an Interfaith Pride Service on the 21st, dozens of events created by the Halifax Library, outdoor performances by the Halifax Gay Mens Chorus, a dog walk, a tryout for a gay orchestra - search-in-page for Halifax Queer Ensemble, several tea parties, book readings, and gay hockey, rugby, and softball -- and over a hundred other things!
- Halifax Pride posted to Instagram: "It has been a long journey to get here, and we thank you for how patient you've been with us while our small volunteer board worked to create events, we know it hasn't been easy. We're proud to announce the Halifax Pride Parade for Sunday, July 23rd at 2pm. Please visit our website for route information. We hope you can join us to celebrate proudly as a community and we look forward to seeing you there."
July 14: Two things:
- Publisher Dan has written an editorial about the state of Halifax Pride 2023, and,
- Rouge Fatale has given the go-ahead to promote her Stroll Through Ocean Breeze at 3:30 on July 23rd, the day originally scheduled for the Parade.
- CBC Article by Andrew Sampson, Halifax Pride silent as queer community questions status of 2023 festivities with quotes from Kevin Kindred and Wayves publisher Dan MacKay.
- July's Community meeting was cancelled a few hours before it was scheduled to start, without apology or notification to the registered participants, a few hours before it was scheduled to begin (possibly due to an Eastlink outage.) The accompanying text reads, "Due to unforeseen circumstances todays community meeting has been postponed. A new rescheduled date and further explanation to follow."
- Community Meeting. If you have notes from this meeting, please email us.
A slightly different route was published, with the last two blocks chopped off. Here's the original, longer May 21 version.
From: Halifax Pride Committee: Halifax Pride is excited to announce that the much-awaited 2023 festival will be happening from July 20th to July 30th. While this festival may look a bit different from years past, it promises to be a fun-filled and meaningful celebration of our diverse community.
We are thrilled to announce the Halifax Pride parade will take place on Sunday, July 23rd at 2pm. Information about more events both on the Garrison Grounds and within the broader HRM community will soon follow. We encourage everyone to participate in the festivities and celebrate in the spirit of Pride!
To stay updated on Halifax Pride 2023, visit our website, which has been updated to reflect this year’s dates, parade registration, and information regarding sponsorship packages. We have more exciting updates in store for you over the coming weeks, so stay tuned!
Publisher's note: at the moment, the Calendar section of Halifax Pride site isn't updated. The Halifax Rainbow Encyclopedia Calendar is on line and up to date.
At Halifax Pride we are committed to creating a safe and welcoming space for all members of our community. As we continue to work towards this goal, we appreciate all ongoing support and patience from our community. We are working hard to transform an organization that has faced hardship internally, externally, and financially, but we are determined to move forward as an organization our community can be proud of. We believe that we are taking responsible steps in that direction.