Pictou County Bursting With Pride!
Posted by Wayves Volunteer 15/06/2013
By Gerard Veldhoven, Pride Week Coordinator
Pictou County will spring to life with the upcoming Pride events slated to take place in New Glasgow from July 8th to 14th. Spring tree and flower buds are not the only ones bursting with pride. The Pictou County queer community is going all out this year. The last Pride flag raising was held in 2008 and is being revived this year along with the signing of the Proclamation. New this year are events slated for Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Details are in place and barring anything unforeseen, we will put Pictou County on the map for knowing how to celebrate LGBTQ Pride in Nova Scotia.
We invite all of our brothers, sisters and allies to join us for the various activities throughout the week. We decided to make this Pride Week a family oriented affair; all events are open to all-ages and are alcohol free. A dance is being planned for August for those who wish to have a great time dancing and enjoying some drinks. On behalf of the Pictou County Centre for Sexual Health and the Pictou County Rainbow Community, the Pride Committee welcomes all who desire to celebrate the queer community and our place in society. You will find details to all our events below, and on our website.
Pictou County Pride Week 2013
Presebted by the Pictou County Rainbow Community & The Pictou County Centre for Sexual Health
Flag Raising: Monday, July 8, 12 Noon; The Riverfront Gazebo
Pride Flag Raising Ceremony Hosted by the Town of New Glasgow, celebrating our place in society with Pride
- Signing of the Pride Week Proclamation
- Raising the flag
- “I Am What I Am” sung by Shaun Maclean
- Speeches by invited guests
- Pride Cake & Refreshments
Punblic Forum: Wednesday July 10, 2 PM & 6 PM, New Glasgow Public Library
Four panelists will speak about their respective lives. Representatives will include a lesbian, a gay man, a bisexual and a transgender person. A question and answer period to follow. We welcome all citizens to participate. At the Afternoon session 2 – 4 PM Evening session 7 – 9 PM, Community Room, New Glasgow Public Library.
Pride Potluck & Cabaret: Thursday, July 12, 6 PM, North End Recreation Centre High Street, New Glasgow
- A great opportunity to mingle and speak with all citizens of Pictou County. Enjoy great food and entertainment. Alcohol free. Admission: Bring Nibbles to Share. Doors open at 6 PM. At the North End Recreation Centre High Street, New Glasgow
PC Rainbow Family PicnicSaturday, July 13, 12 PM, North End Recreation Centre, High Street, New Glasgow
- Pictou County Rainbow Family Picnic Some foods provided. Please bring the food items you prefer. Alcohol free. North End Recreation Centre, green space High Street, New Glasgow Saturday, July 13, from 12 – 4 PM.
We welcome members of the LGBT Community, families, friends and allies.