OUTeast (June 22) 3 PM: LES INVISIBLES
Posted by Wayves Volunteer 21/06/2013
By Hugo Dann, for Wayves
Les Invisibles tells the stories of elderly women and men, pioneers in the gay and lesbian movement in France. Born in the years of peace following World War One, all lived through the Second World War and the NAZI Occupation, the student riots of 1968, and all the long years when homosexuality was regarded as a mental illness. Each in turn reflects on how they lived, or came to live, their lives openly and without shame, in a time when that was almost unheard of. Contrasting moments of tenderness and anecdotes of wild sexual escapades, Director Sebastien Lifshitz shows us who the real heroes are through beautiful and charming storytelling and some of the most loveable characters you will ever meet.
“Ultimately, Les invisibles gives hope for the future and shows how much society has moved on, even if there still remains a great distance to be travelled. I left the cinema feeling lighter and freer than I had done in days. Maybe the film simply served to remind me how lucky I am – and how beautiful life can be.”
- Blogger Rachel Malcolm, Francofile
A hit on the festival circuit, Les Invisibles was also the winner of this year’s Cesar Award (France’s equivalent to the Academy Award) for Best Documentary. You can watch the trailer here.
DOCUMENTARY France / 2012 / 115:00 min.
DIRECTOR: Sebastien Lifshitz; PRODUCER: Bruno Nahon.
RATING: 14A French w/English Subtitles
OUTeast BOX OFFICE/TICKET INFO
- Advance film ticket sales are online at neptunetheatre.com (credit card only)
- Click ‘Visiting Shows,’ and then click ‘OUTeast Film Festival.’
- Advance Prom and Brunch tickets are available at outeast2013.eventbrite.ca (credit card or Paypal only)
- The Festival Box Office in the Neptune Studio Lobby opens one hour before screening start times during the festival.
- Advance tickets to the Prom and theBrunch (cash only) will be available at Venus Envy, 1598 Barrington Street. For store hours, visit venusenvy.ca/halifax.
- All festival screenings are $10 each, everything included.
- Tickets for the Prom are $15 each, everything included, and tickets for the Awards Brunch are $10 each.
- No refunds, exchanges, or cancellations on any tickets purchased.
- For ticket-related questions, email email@example.com